Sunday, May 31, 2009

Living a run-free-lifestyle

Ohhh yeah.  It's been sweet.  For the past couple of months, it's been all biking and swimming.  I haven't even laced up my running shoes or pretened to have any desire to go out for a jog.  I have even been toying with the idea of just not doing it anymore - calling it quits, for good.  And stick to swimming and biking, the two things I actually enjoy.
The main reason for my hiatus is the fact that I just can't seem to make peace with the run, I can't ever seem to get past a certain hump.  And it's always my lungs that stop me, I can't seem to catch my breath. Legs are doing fine, but I'm as out of breath as fish on dry land.  Nobody enjoys being out of breath, so it's understandable that I should hate running.
This spring it's been exeptionally bad and started to hit me in both biking and running too.  I usually bike with my Garmin heart rate monitor on, and during one particularily hard trainier workout, I noticed that my normally high heart rate was barely up, even if I was working my ass off.  Huh, curious.  I brought this up with a couple of friends who are in medicine and sports physio, and both asked if I had looked into EIA.  Excersize induced asthma.
I guess I should go see a doctor...

2 comments:

Krisanne said...

Um, yeah, you should get to a doctor (says the woman who stubbornly refused to check with her doctor for four months!)

Heck, I didn't even have to go to my doctor - I just described the symptoms to him via e-mail and he prescribed an inhaler right then. I've had it for two weeks now and my trainer has pushed me harder and no wheezing. I do get out of breath, but it's the normal "I'm pushing myself hard so I need to catch my breath" feeling rather than the "oh no I can't get a full breath of air" panicky feeling that I used to get.

Exercise-induced bronchospasm... read all about it!

JFK said...

Hlusta á líkamann. Ef hann er að segja við þig að hann nái ekki nægjanlegu súrefni þá er ekkert spurning um að vera þrjósk. Allar öfgar eru slæmar baby sys. Plus, það er eins og berja höfðinu við stein að ætla reyna að ná framförum ef þú ert með áreynslu astma...