Thursday, January 22, 2009

I believe... change is a-comin

One of the blogs I subscribe to offered up a real treat today.
It quotes a piece that NPR did on 7 year old Tarak McLain, who was born in Thailand but now lives with his family in Austin, Texas. The kid is remarkable.
For the 100th day of kindergarten, their teacher asked them to bring in a 100 of something - and this is what Tarak did. He wrote up his 100 believes. 30 of them are listed below, I'm not sure where the other 70 are. For the full effect, I recommend listening to Tarak read his list - click on the "listen now" button on the NPR website.

Here it goes.
  1. I believe life is good.
  2. I believe God is in everything
  3. I believe we’re all equal.
  4. I believe we can help people.
  5. I believe everyone is weird in their own way.
  6. I believe hate is a cause for love.
  7. I believe that when I meditate I feel peaceful.
  8. I believe we should be generous.
  9. I believe brothers and sisters should be kind to each other.
  10. I believe kids should respect their parents.
  11. I believe I should not whine.
  12. I believe people should wake up early.
  13. I believe people should go outside more.
  14. I believe in nature.
  15. I believe people should use less trees.
  16. I believe we should help the Arctic and rainforest animals.
  17. I believe people shouldn't throw litter on the ground.
  18. I believe people should not smoke.
  19. I believe God is in good and bad.
  20. I believe in magic.
  21. I believe people should not give up.
  22. I believe love is everywhere.
  23. I believe that God helps us to have a good time.
  24. I believe we live best in a community.
  25. I believe we can protect people in danger.
  26. I believe we should help the poor.
  27. I believe it's OK to die but not to kill.
  28. I believe war should not have started.
  29. I believe war should stop.
  30. I believe we can make peace.
Sounds like a pretty decent set of believes to me.
On a personal level, I would like to believe that in my life, a change is coming - a change for the better.
Today I was laid off from a job that I have held for the past 9 years. Out of those 9 I enjoyed 8 great years and have been fortunate to work with some exceptionally good people. I'll miss them. Then there are a couple that I won't miss, but that is how the world rolls.
I will admit that even if I saw the writing on the wall a copule of days in advance, I am still a little bit stunned and shell shocked. But I will be ok. Between Cute Boy and I, we will work things out somehow.
Maybe now is the time to back to school like I've been wanting to or start brushing off that old resume and start applying for fresh jobs. Either way, I am going to take a few days to ponder things over, gaze at the ocean, ride my bike, swim, run and figure out what I want to be when I grow up.
I am ready for the next adventure - bring it!

6 comments:

Luv2skydyv said...

We never grow up, we only get old :-)

We are all here for you Kolla. There comes a time where you may have to lean on your friends a little, I say bring it on- I can prop you up for a bit.

One of my very personal believes is things happen for a reason. You might not know what that reason is right now, or in six months, or in a year, but you will soon find out. You, my Eurotrash Icelandic little friend have a stubborn persistences that will never give up! Don't forget, "If there is a will, there is a way"

HjorvarPez said...

Sæl vertu Kolla. Mínar bestu kveðjur í þína prívat byltingu. Ég var í svipuðum sporum fyrir tæpu ári síðan og hvet þig eindregið til að njóta þess frelsis sem þú hefur núna til að taka hverja þá stefnu sem þig langar í lífinu.
Bestu kveðjur

Sandy said...

I will have lots of free time on my hands as well...I can help out with what ever you need...all of your friends will pull you through!

Mikey... said...

If there was ever a time to become a professional triathlete...

Eva mágkona said...

Rétt viðhorf Kolla! Nú er bara að skoða alla möguleikana sem eru í boði og njóta frelsisins :) Ferðalag til Danmerkur væri líka sniðugt! hehe... Hafið það gott! :*

Krystal said...

Good attitude Kolla, this will hopefully lead you to the things that you really want to do in life.
Keep your head up and we'll see you in JULY!
xoxo