Friday, November 7, 2008

Demotivated

Does working inherently suck or do I just happen to work at a place that makes it a mission to every so often suck the last remaining little bit of motivation to do a good job right out of the core of your very being?
I hope it is option #2, because I distinctly remember having held 3 seperate jobs that I really enjoyed. One of them I left because I was moving to Florida, the other one I left for the job I left for Florida, and the last one was a project that just came to a natural end.
I worked my little tail off at all 3, worked with great people (for the most part) and had great bosses. But I have had some crappy jobs too.

This time around I am working a job that I enjoy for the most part - part working with athletes and part working at social media, establishing a presence for my company on the great big internet. I do work with some really great people, but there are some serious shit-bags too. Watching the infighting amongst the "higher uppers" is really disheartening.
Every time I see 2 or more of our managers interact, I am reminded that I have 2 insane cats at home that hate each other. The similarities are astonishing.

So, today I work on my resume. With the hope that maybe there is a job out there for me that I can work hard at, be good at and challenged by. I like working - I like having a purpose and a goal and I'm willing to put in the effort to get there. BUT. I want to be appreciated and trusted by my superiors and respected by peers. I don't even know if that is possible in today's America, or if I have to move to Utopia for that. We'll see. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Sandy said...

Volunteer :o).

Hurry up and finish school so you can do something that you hope you'll love! That's my goal anyway.

SunnyD said...

Oh man do I hear you on this one. The crappy economical situation doesn't help either because people assume you won't go anywhere (cause there ain't no where to go really) so they can stomp on your moral until there isn't much left. Hope things are looking up for ya. Hugs, D