Friday, October 31, 2008

Ironman Florida, the night before

Drove up today with Sue and Krystal, had an excellent time.  Krystal sang the whole way and after I handed her my camera a lot of random (but funny) documentation took place.  Think I will have to make a collage out of the trip.
Arrived in time to go greet my friend Cameron who is racing tomorrow and then it was off to the volunteer meeting.  Although the word 'meeting' doesn't quite describe the clusterf*** taking place.  
I had been instructed to show up for the out-of-towners meeting to get an identifying volunteer t-shirt and further instructions for the area I had been loosely assigned.  I expected the finer details to cover the where, when and what of my volunteering duties.
No dice.  I finally found someone that could give me a bracelet so that I could at least make it into the area and from other volunteers I gathered that we should show up "around 7".  No volunteer t-shirt for me (sniff sniff) but instead I will wear my "Go Cameron" shirt.
Answers such as "well the race starts at 7" and "there may be a break for you if any of the other volunteers show up" didn't give me the warm fuzzies.
I can't help but feeling a little unloved and many of the other volunteers shared that sentiment.  It doesn't seem it would have taken that much to have a tad better organization in place, especially considering that this is the 10th year IMFL is held here in Panama City Beach.
And it sucks, because the athletes that have trained so long and hard for this event deserve enthusiastic and motivated volunteers, doing everything they can to make this experience the best it can be.
Either way, I'm going to show up and do my best to help the future Ironmen and women to have the best race day possible.  Hopefully the "management" uses the time between now and 7 am to get their shit together so that everyone will still manage to have a great time.  I will however think long and hard before offering up my time, money and energy to volunteer for this organization again. 

No comments: