Tuesday, October 14, 2008

BOOOM goes the ankle

Went for a run earlier, when it dawned on me that I hadn't been out running for over a week, and I'm supposed to be in serious training for the Ragnar Relay. Oooops (lame excuses are plentiful but I won't bore you with the details).
But now I might actually have a real excuse for not running - as I twisted my ankle like a pro about an hour ago. I was peacefully jogging up the road, still sort of warming up, about 10 minutes into it. Feeling pleased with me and my pace, going pretty strong for a slacker.
It's twilight, and I was thinking I should have brought along the new shiny runner reflective vest I just got, as I prepare to cross the road. There is some traffic up ahead so I decide to scoot behind a couple of cars, but keep a close eye on the 4-way stop intersection at the same time, to avoid being run over by one of the many geriatric drivers in the hood.
Turns out I should have been looking where I was going, as the next thing you know I trip into a stupid hole, my foot is pointed south and I'm stumbling like a drunk donkey. Of course every time I take a spill (or a near spill) I spring up like nothing happened with the "I'm fine, I'm fine, nothing to see here, scoot scoot away" attitude.
Except this time, the springing didn't go so well as the left ankle wasn't on board with the plan. It didn't want to move and it didn't care that I looked stupid in the middle of the road. I managed to hobble over to the side and after a little bit the throbbing went down. Remarkably enough it felt ok, so I gently finished the run, since I was already sort of halfway out.

We'll see how it goes tomorrow, but it's already clear that it's best if I just stick to riding or swimming, this running business is clearly very dangerous ;)